Global environmental and safety certification first for Ignazio Messina
This considerable achievement is the culmination of a long process of intense activity aimed at preventing industrial accidents as well as environmental pollution, which the company’s top management have pursued with determination and perseverance.
The process began in 2001 when the company obtained its first Occupational Health and Safety Certificate for the Nino Ronco Terminal in the port of Genoa - an initiative which, at the time, represented a real cultural evolution towards transparency and the desire to provide and operate in total safety. Ignazio Messina thereafter decided to extend this process to the Group’s complex activities, resulting now in a new first for the maritime sector.
With its ninety years of history and over a thousand employees, Ignazio Messina & C. S.p.A. has implemented an integrated Environmental, Occupational Health and Safety Management System in compliance with the international voluntary standards ISO 14001/2004 and BS OHSAS 18001/2007 at the Ronco port terminal and at the administrative and commercial offices of the company’s headquarters in Genoa and local offices situated throughout Italy.
Implementation of an integrated Environmental and Safety Management System and its subsequent certification enables the company to activate a process of constant self-checking relating to its performance. It also leads - through a dynamic approach to the problems identified - to continuous improvement in the conditions recorded and to a new definition of the objectives, following a review of the results obtained, thus increasing the company’s credibility with clients, institutional bodies and the local community.
The advantages associated with Environmental and Safety certification can be summarised as follows:
• promotion of industrial accident prevention, and continuous environmental performance improvement and protection of the health and safety of employees, third parties and the community;
• reduced environmental risks during the performance of the company’s activities;
• reduced management costs linked to the prevention of undesired events, such as industrial accidents and environmental impacts, both of which entail high economic and social costs;
• more effective management of mandatory legal requirements in the health, safety and environmental fields;
• the company’s credibility and visibility are guaranteed by voluntary certification, issued by a certification body accredited in accordance with international standards.
Ignazio Messina & C SpA
Mob: +39 3481 309352
Mob: +39 3346 052004